Lumen Christi International School was founded on oct,5th 1986 by His Grace,most Rev.Dr.P.E Ekpu (Archbishop Emeritus of Benin Archdiocese).Lumen Christi is located in the heart of Esanland-Arue, Uromi in Esan North-East L.G.A of Edo State and owned by Catholic diocese of Uromi. A school with a population of 630 with 99 staff, made up of both academic and non-academic staff. Lumen Christi is blessed with industrious and committed staff led by the principal, Rev.Fr.Dr. Theophilus Itaman.She operates a full boarding school for boys.she draws her student across the nation and overseas.Lumen Christi stives to form the whole person,hence the all–embracing programme of the school. She is an institution that emphasizes moral value and spiritual developing along academic excellence.
Having in mind no sordid desire for money but the mandate of the church and value for education, His Grace ,Most Rev.Dr. P.E Ekpu, the then Archbishop of Benin City,founded on the 5th October,1986,an educational citadel, now known as ‘Lumen Christi International High School, Uromi, Edo State.’
History shows that biblical mustard seed, Lumen Christi has grown over the years to become a school to reckon with in Nigeria. In the past 26 years, Lumen Christi has maintained a track record of excellence. She has maintained 100% in WAEC results for the past 22 years.
In the past few years, she has received different awards and honours, thus:
- In 2004, she was classified and ranked the 4th best secondary school in West Africa sub-region (Punch Newspaper, 10th Jan., 2004).
- This growth became very laudable and translucent in 2007 when the school won the 1st position in NNPC Science competition in the South-South Geo-political Zone.
- In that same year, 2007 she received the award for the best overall WAEC result in Nigeria for producing the best aggregate result in WAEC in the Nation.
- This was further consolidated by winning the same award in 2009 as she produced the best WAEC result in the Nation (The Guardian, Dec. 31 2010; Vanguard Dec., 24th 2010; Daily Sunday, Jan., 4th 2011). This award was received on the 9th December, 2010 Kaduna State.
- Also, on the 18th of December, 2010, she received the award of the best secondary school in Nigeria during the 2010 Reward Nigeria award held in Lagos.
- For the 3rd time, Lumen Christi received the award for the 2011 best WAEC result in Nigeria (The Nation, April 18th 2012; Tribune, April, 19, 2012; The Guardian, April 26, 2012, 2012; Tell, April 30, 2012). Your Excellency, this award is given to a school in Nigeria who produces the best aggregate result in WAEC determined on results of its best 50 candidates, provided that the grades for English Language, Mathematics and science subject are included. This award ceremony took place in March 2012 in Abuja as WAEC market her 60th anniversary.
- Furthermore, in July 2012she won the National Secondary School Quiz Competition as she represented Edo State, beating all other states of the nation to emerge the national Champion. At this competition, the school was represented by three of our intellectual giants, namely Chikezie Joachim, Mieyefa Ekior, and Adudu Blessed.
- Finally, on Oct 17th 2012, she received another award for the best performing school of the nation during the Hallmarks of Labour Foundation, Young Achievers Awards 2012 (Vanguard, 25th Oct., 2012, p.33). This took place at the Nigerian Institute of international Affairs, Victoria Island, Lagos. In bid to encourage the students to keep the flag flying ,the Hallmarks of Labour foundation gave the school, Science Equipment worth a million of naira and some computer sets.
What a success story! These awards speak volume of Lumen Christi as the Home Of Excellence. Lumen Christi is indeed a world class and award winning school. The pride of Edo State and the joy of Esanland. If it is not Lumen Christi, it cannot be like Lumen Christi. On our part,we continue to live by our motto: The Best or Nothing. In fact, Lumen Christi is a vision achieved.